Sunday, July 29, 2018

Adjusting to 4 kids.

Fun fact: I wrote my first blog post exactly 8 years ago today (well now that was yesterday cause I didn't get to posting this)...or at least thats what Facebook memories told me. ha! I kinda think of it as the scriptures now I guess as far as sometimes within a chapter many years have passed by but they keep documenting..sometimes more than others. 

So I get asked a lot how I am handling 4 kids..and to be honest I think within those first three months of a babies life they sleep so much that it isn't all that bad. Its mostly feeding and sleeping and changing diapers. They aren't too needy...yes I am up multiple times at night but I wish I could go back to me as a first time mom and tell myself to lay down and feed Corbin because it is just so much more efficient as far as getting rest...or sleep I should say. Yes it might be bad that I tend to fall asleep and most likely don't finish the feeding completely because we have both fallen back asleep and he wakes up sooner because he's hungry again but you do whats best to get sleep and survive. I remember waking up and walking to the other room and sitting up in the chair feeding Corbin and even sitting up browsing on my computer-I didn't even have a smart phone at the beginning. Like why did I do that to myself...all I know is that it wasn't good for me and I was definitely a lot more sleep deprived than I am now. Anyways what I was getting at is I feel like a newborn isn't as hard for me but I am a bit nervous in these months..or years to come when he is awake more and is more needy. Another thing that has saved me that I wish I could tell my new mom self is get myself a good wrap and wear that baby! Caden in all honesty is either on my in the wrap or in the swing and that is where he is usually pretty content. He would probably be a lot harder if I wasn't constantly wearing him and I don't mind it too much-but its sure nice to just let him sleep in the swing if he will and get a break.

So back to how am I adjusting to 4 kids..well I feel like its not too far from dealing with 3 kids because right now the other 3 kids are my main stressors. My mom always told me 3 was the hardest adjustment than after that it was all the same and I can agree with that thus far. Chaos is chaos right?! ha! Some days I feel like "yeah I totally got this...this isn't too bad" and others times I am definitely drowning is things I need to get done. Of course I don't get too many breaks and my list is never ending but I feel like I have an ok balance right now. I guess I am not too overwhelmed because this is what I expected. Do I wish I had more time to get things done..or even just feel caught up on things..of course but I feel like I can still get out with my kids and enjoy life. If I had to say whats the hardest thing about motherhood right now it would be dealing with my kids constantly fighting or complaining. We are definitely working on the being grateful thing. They fight over the usual sibling things like what toys they are playing with but they also fight over anything you can think of plus anything you would never think to fight over..from all wanting the same color of plate/cup/silverware etc to who gets to shut the door or even that the other person is just looking at them. I know they just fight over something just because they want to bug and fight over not because they really want it. ok I guess this sounds like other siblings as well..or I hope I am not the only one that has to deal with this insanity. ha! (thats a laugh and a cry) 

But the moments (and yes moments) they do play together so well and cute it just makes my mama heart happy. Sometimes I want to point it out to them how nice it is when we all are nice to each other and sometimes I just let it play out and enjoy it for however long it last..sometimes not too long before something happens to stop it. But I do feel like these last two weeks since we have stayed home together they have bonded a little more with each other and I am seeing more moments and times of playing. It might be more when Gavin and Mikaela are doing what Corbin tell them to but thats just how kids usually play well together I guess. The other day Corbin and Gavin were singing "we are best friends.." and other things but then of course they would then shove each other into the couch but think it was funny. And I really hope they can all grow up being best friends and we can make these great memories together even though it may feel like they fight often they really do play with each other quite a bit too!

No comments:

Post a Comment